Saturday, May 8, 2010

......I'm Happy because You were wrong Sir ! (some random recollections from past 12 years.)



. . .28 May 1998 , Kohat Cantt. ,70 km SW of Peshawar: . . . Well it had been a hot day as usual, and I ,being the student of 3rd Grade and oblivious of whats going on around, was occupied by plans of upcoming "Summer Vacations".But not ignorant to the extent that I may not even notice Abbu's "changed" mood. So one thing was clear that "Every thing is not fine." Then the telephone rang breaking the silence of the room and I hurriedly ran to pick up the receiver....
"Hello. . . Asslam-u-alaikum, beta Colonal Sahab say baat krao. . .Uncle !Aap kaun? . . .Beta Kaho Rawalpindi say call hay. . . Ji acha!! " and I handed over
the receiver to Abbu.And the scene that followed,its still engraved in my memory .Abbu jubilantly said to the caller:"Sir ap ko bhi bohat mubarak ho" and then
putting the receiver back ,he literally smashed with his closed fist,on the bedside table and said to me with same jubilation"Beta agr aj Pakistan baqi hay to Dr. A.Q.KHAN ki waja say!!" and after few hours the then only Pakistani news channel PTV broke the news "Pakistan. . .now world's 7th country nuclear power.The PM will shortly address the nation". . . . .




. . . 4th Feb. 2004 : Gujrat ,120 km East of Lahore:. . . . . It was a cold evening, and then Abbu said to me:. ." .Omer beta T.V. tau lgao .Zara khabren hi dekh len....."and then as I turned it on,the first channel that showd up was again the same state-owned PTV,with its peacock-feather like logo at the bottom right of the screen which showed a feeble man,in his late sixtees in a simple,khaki coat and dull glasses.With dry lips and trembling voice ,as if being dictated by someone, he said : . . . ."O my dear country men! I seek your pardon, and I did all this in good faith. ". . . . . It was no other than Dr.Aq.Khan.

And the next day the newpapers made headlines "Not another A.Q.Khan". Ryan C.Crocker. . . .with details :"Us ambassdor to Pakistan after addressing a seminar at Serena Hotel here at Islamabad yesterday said "We are sure ,after what happend to Dr.Aq.khan,there won't be another "Khan" in future and
that, he won't be able to enjoy any further the same God-like stature among the Pakistani people,he once used to do."

. . . 5th April 2010 : The Green Benches,FMH College of Medicine and Dentistry,Lahore: . . . It was first day at college after the "Spring Vacations".Although a Physiology's test immediately followed the vacations and mine didn't go well,but that day is going to remain special due to some other reason as well.Because after the college,We planned to celebrate Dr.A.q.Khan's birthday.(And this time it wasn't "I". rather "We" ).
So on my left I can see the charismatic Ahsan, narrating Dr.Khan's message,on my right I can see Nimra slicing the cake apart(and later retaliating by "Itna Hi Men Nay Bhi Kata Tha "to those calling her "unfair " in dividng cake :D ),
right next to me ,I can see Mustafa trying to protect flickering candles figured "7" and "4" from being blown out by wind,I can see Umair,catalyzing the party in a style unique to him, I can see Sohaib socializing after almost a month,and the "gadget-guy" Hassan,as usual,trying to capture the"best-shot" . . . .
So today I am happy,I'm happy because I can see an array of my classfellows,I can see many juniors joining us as well,even some of the seniors have also showed up,and I can see all of them putting their testimonials for Dr.AqKhan on a chart depicting their love and regards for him.

I am so happy today,Mr. Ryan C.Crocker!I am happy because you were wrong ,Sir!You were wrong....

1 comment:

  1. http://karachikhatmal.blogspot.com/2009/06/phallic-phallacies.html

    A post by my second most favorite blogger (the first being my best friend, Awais Aftab.)
    The language is strong in more ways than one. You won't agree with it but I suggest you read it anyway, just to get a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete